Bastrikha translated into Dutch means bellows. In this exercise the breath is forcefully drawn into the lungs and exhaled just as forcefully.
A blacksmith uses his bellows to blow the air into the fire and thus start the fire, stoke the heat.
In our body this exercise has the same effect. We blow air in and out forcefully, thereby increasing the internal heat. Both subtle and coarse. The fire of the body-mind system is being fueled.
This heat burns the impergy, toxins and energetic blockages in the body and mental weakness in the mind. The Sanskrit word 'Tapas' means scorching impreness. Bastrikha is a form of purification/ cleaning by doing 'Tapas'.
The inhalation is as long as the exhalation. The activity is in the chest and diaphragm. Below the technical explanation of the exercise.
1. Breathe calmly and calmly
Observing breathing, without checking or steering it, is a skill that we should also practice.
2. Do the bastrikha breathing 20 times
– Breathe in and out through the nose
– The abdomen remains passive,
– Chest and diaphragm make the movement and thus pull the flow of breath vigorously in and out.
3. Kumbakha EMPTY
This is a tricky exercise for beginners. That's why this step is optional, you can skip it and do a Kumbhaka VOL right away.
– For Kumbakha EMPTY:
Exhale completely, Mula Bandha tightens, the abdomen moves further in to squeeze more air out of the lungs,
– Do not inhale,
– Make Chin Lock, Jalandhara Bandha.
– You are EMPTY and turn off the chest (false inhalation).
– The expansion of the chest activates Uddiyana Bandha, causing the diaphragm to retract and raise the abdomen and abdomen.
– Last a few seconds.
– If you breathe in, lift the chin first, breathe in through the nose. Do a Kumbakha FULL right away
4. Kumbakha VOL
– Inhale through the nose, the chest is completely full,
– Activate Mula Bandha (lock of the pelvic floor muscles) and Jalandhara Bandha (chin lock),
– Hold on, as long as you like it, maybe a little longer,
– Before exhaling, lift the chin, exhale through the nose.
5. Observe the effect of this exercise on breath, heart rate, consciousness.
Do this Bastrikha round once or three times.
Do's & Don'ts
CAUTION: DO NOT do this exercise if you have a lung condition.
DO NOT do this exercise during your period.
DO NOT do this exercise if you have high blood pressure, if you have a hernia, suffer from dizziness etc.
DO NOT do this exercise in the water. ALSO NOT right before you go swimming. NEVER do Pranayama exercises when you participate in traffic.